Isaiah Austin Gets Honorary NBA Draft Following Career- Ending Marfan Syndrome Diagnosis

The NBA bestowed a very special honor to Isaiah Austin
during yesterday's 2014 NBA Draft at Barclays Center
in Brooklyn.
The 20-year-old former Baylor Bears star, who was
forced to give up playing basketball on a competitive
level earlier this week when he was diagnosed with
Marfan syndrome, was honored with an honorary draft
pick Thursday by NBA Commissioner Adam Silver.
The NBA shared a video of the touching moment from
yesterday's draft on their Instagram, writing, "The NBA
selects Isaiah Austin! #DreamAgain." Those in
attendance clapped and cheered while giving Austin a
standing ovation during the moving moment.
It was only a few days ago that Austin announced his
career-ending diagnosis (Marfan syndrome is a genetic
disorder that affects the body's connective tissue).
Austin sat down with ESPN the other day for an
emotional interview about his diagnosis.
"They said I wouldn't be able to play basketball
anymore at a competitive level," Austin said fighting
back tears. "They found the gene in my blood sample.
They told me that my arteries in my heart are enlarged
and that if I overwork myself and push too hard that
my heart could rupture. The draft is four days away,
and I had a dream that my name was going to be
called."
The NBA proved the dreams really do come true.
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment