Schoolboy Q Ready For The Grammys... In 2015

Rob Markman, with reporting by Sway Calloway and Nadeska Alexis January 24, 2014 Schoolboy Q says he won't be attending the 2014 Grammy Awards, but if all goes well, the Black Hippy MC could be in the house next year — that's if his major-label debut Oxymoron gets a nomination.Granted, Oxymoron doesn't even drop until February 25 and there's an entire year of hip-hop to unravel. It's too early for 2015 Grammy talk, but just in case the stars align, Q already has his outfit planned out.

"If I go to the Grammys, I'ma come in there cold, I'ma go with some Dickies on," he said shouting out the workwear brand that West Coast rappers like Ice Cube, Snoop Dogg and the Game have helped to popularize.While Dickies makes a variety of different clothes for blue collar construction workers, auto-mechanics and industrial maintenance workers, it's their khaki-colored pants and matching button down shirts which are most popular among rappers. While style experts may scoff at the idea, Q admits that he just not a fan of the flash and pizazz of the red carpet."I'm never into the red carpets because I was never nominated for stuff. If you see me on a red carpet it's just because I was coming through to hang out with Dot — Kendrick or somebody," he said.There is a chance that things can change over the next year and Q can find himself with a Grammy nomination just like his TDE label mate Kendrick Lamar this year. Schoolboy's upcoming Oxymoron made MTV News' most anticipated hip-hop albums list and if it fulfills its promise, Grammy noms aren't inconceivable.Schoolboy said he isn't worried about how the album performs; he's happy with how it has shaped up."As long as people love the album. That's all I care about," he said. "It's up to the fans, I can't sell a record, it's up to them to sell the record. I'm pleased with everything I've been doing, I'm not worried about nothing."

Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment